Sunday, September 18, 2011

Google docs

What is it?
When I hear people speak of 21st Century learning, collaboration and technology are two major buzz words.  Google docs is one format that allows you to use technology to collaborate.  
Google docs is a cloud based word processing program.  All you need to be able to utilize Google docs is a Google account...which is free.  There are a lot of features that I like, but some of my favorites are:  the ability to collaborate with other people on a document & not have to worry about having multiple versions of the document, the ability to comment on other people's documents, and the automatic save.  On a Google doc you never have to press save, as it saves automatically with every keystroke.  

How could I use it?
As a teacher, I use Google docs with my students.  My school is a Google school, meaning all the students have a Google account without needing an e-mail address.  This allows the students to be able to work on documents from wherever they are (home or school) and share them with me.  I can then utilize the "comments" option & give them feedback on how they can improve their writing.  


Google docs isn't just a place where you can make a document.  You can also make presentations (similar to Powerpoint), spreadsheets, and even quizzes for your class to take on-line.  There are a variety of templates you can choose from, and you have the ability to make your own template as well.    For more information about Google docs, please watch this video.



No comments:

Post a Comment